Friday 21 December 2012

1950's / Pin Up Girl 30/11/2012

What is Pin Up?

 A pin-up girl, also known as a pin-up model or cheesecake, is a model whose mass-produced pictures see wide appeal as popular culture. Pin-ups are intended for informal display, e.g. meant to be "pinned-up" on a wall. Pin-up girls may be glamour models, fashion models, or actresses.

  I am taking inspiration from the pin up girls drawn by Alberto Vargas, George Petty, and Gil Elvgren.

Make up
Plan
This is my initial plan for the Pin Up / 50's make up. 
 I plan to use a light brown eye shadow on my lid which increases in darkness as it reaches my outer corner of my eye. I will line my top lid with black liquid eye liner and create a cat eye wing on the outer corner, I will also line my bottom lash line 1/4 of the way in. I will then apply black mascara.
  I plan to use a deep red lipstick and follow my natural lip line. 









Sources
  • Make up tutorial 'The Supermodel' in 'Retro Makeup : Techniques for applying the vintage look' by Lauren Rennells


Hair
Plan

I plan to create a classic victory roll style

Sources:

  • Tutorial in 'Vintage Hairstyling retro styles with step-by-step techniques' by Lauren Rennells
  • Video Tutorial '1940's Hair-Reverse Victory Rolls' by 'Lisa Freemont Street' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COg4eiEFAJE

Outfit
Plan

  • A 50s full circle dress 
  • Lined stockings
  • Heels


Photoshoot

I plan to use an outside location and use Gil Elvgren's 'Red, White, and Blue' (1966) as inspiration for this shoot.
 I want it to be a blanket on a patch of grass, with a picnic basket in the forground. I will be holding an apple with a -fake- caterpillar coming out of the top and falling back in surprise.
 I may have problems with this as it is currently snowing outside so I will have to come up with a back up plan.

 My other plan is to use Gil Elvgren's 'A Warm Welcome' (1959) as inspiration, and place the shoot inside by the fireplace. Toasting marshmallows whilst sat by the fire.

Sources Used
 
'Red, White and Blue' 1966 by Gil Elvgren


'A Warm Welcome' 1959 by Gil Elvgren


Final Image


No comments:

Post a Comment